From the beginning of creation, God has breathed life, love and community into the whole of Creation. Human beings being created in the image and likeness of God - also have a deep desire and need for love and community. As people grow and move, relationships change and need tending for communication and life to flourish.
This is true for spiritual relationships as well. between God and humanity - and between human beings with each other. God's Spirit moves through individuals and circumstances to draw people into relationship with each other and with God. Perhaps the missionary zeal and vision of a rural pastor, or perhaps individuals and families realize their need for spiritual fellowship and nourishment. By the Grace of God, the Spirit drew all these forces together on this stark wilderness in northwestern Minnesota.
In the early 1800s, there were only a few settlers north of what later became Thief River Falls. It was unsettled wilderness land that had just been opened up for homesteaders. The ridges and rivers divided them - even more than languages. By 1885, there were several immigrant families that had homesteaded, from many different countries. The Swedish families longed for religious gatherings which was difficult because there were no real roads, only trails through uncleared lands.
The nearest train station was 15 miles south in St. Hillaire, MN. A pastor came up from Black River to hold a service in one of the homes, encouraging them to hold a meeting to organize as a congregation of the Augustana Synod.
The founding pastor, Rev. Svante Udden, visiting from Warren, MN , came upon this Swedish community at Park Ridge, baptized the first child in June of 1887 and helped these families organize a congregation. It was initially called "Svenska Evangelisak Lutherska Park Ridge Forsamlingen" in 1887.
They began meeting in homes and continued to do so with 9 families and three single men. Rev. Udden and Rev. S.G. Swenson from Hallock traveled over every few months to hold services. Lay leaders led Bible studies and services when pastors could not travel. In 1888, they called their first pastor, Rev. J. Moody who stayed until 1896.